India is a diverse nation with many cultures and food styles where people are very passionate about their spices and use nearly a dozen of different spices in some of their daily cooked dishes. Garnishing a curry with a set of specific spices gives it a special flavor and taste. Most of spices used for medical and culinary purposes all over the world are native to Indian subcontinent, whereas some of the spices have been imported from foreign land and grown locally for centuries. You might know that good spices make the meal tastier and nice looking by giving it appealing scent. What you might not know is how spices can help to reduce weight if chosen well. Spices are the great store house of flavors as well as rich in oxidants.
The various studies on the antioxidant richness of spices and herbs suggest that the use of these flavor powerhouses is a new way to add more health into your daily meals. If you know how to choose the combination of spices then your food can be turned to gourmet meal as well as help to cut some weight. There is no magic behind this but only a few of wisdom is also required. A most frequent question might be striking your mind that “can spices really help to reduce weight?” yes it’s very true to be a fat cutting tool into your body. Basically what spices do is they speed up your metabolism. If your metabolism is fast then you can burn more calories faster. Spices are considered advantageous to stimulate your nervous system and in return it improves the whole functioning of your body. All in all, we can say that adding spices into food are giving you two benefits one is nutritional value and other is helps to attain weight lose.
Here is the list of top 10 most popular spices of Indian kitchen that you can incorporate into your meals.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is often used as curry powder. It contains a phytochemical called curcumin. Curcumin is very effective in relieving menstrual cramps, reducing arthritic pain, and brain plaque implicated in Alzheimer’s. It’s an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and it also has pain relieving properties. It also acts as a liver detoxifier in your body. Apart from all, it helps to reduce weight by preventing fat absorption.
- Mustard – You might know that little mustard seeds are one of the best weight loss spices around. This is simply because it contains little or no calories at all. Being extremely low in calories, it improves your metabolic rate. Besides, the fact is true that it has a lot of flavor, means that your food will become more tasty and better by adding a few mustard seeds into lt. it also has antimicrobial properties as well as it help to stop the growth of cancer cells in your body.
- Ginger – Ginger is commonly used in every kitchen. It helps you to lose weight because it boosts your digestion and speeds up your metabolism. Adding ginger to your daily diet is pretty easy because you can simply add it to soups, teas, stir-fry meals and much more. You must have heard about the benefits of ginger to calm nausea, vomiting, motion sickness, improve circulation. It is also helpful in combating the side-effects of chemotherapy.
- Pepper: Pepper is known as king of all spices. It helps to stimulate the nervous system, which can improve the function of your whole body. And by doing so, it speeds up your metabolic rate to burn more and more calories in a faster way. You can use freshly ground black pepper to get the most out of the “Piperine”.
- Garlic: This is an absolute multi-tasking ingredient in your kitchen. It protects you against the many types of cancers. It is also known as natural antibiotic and antiviral agent that has been proven effective against antibiotic bacteria. It also adds good taste into your every kind of meal being a multitasking.
- Cinnamon: A latest research has shown that a half teaspoon two or more times a day can effectively lower blood sugar level and improve glucose metabolism, as well as lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels. This spice is so versatile that you can use it in whole grain baked goods, cereals, oatmeal, yogurt and even in some Mediterranean meat dishes. It has so many other benefits including relieving muscle and joint pain, stimulating circulation, as well as acts as an anti-microbial that is effective against E. coli.
- Curry leaves: Curry leaves are as essential to cooking as bay leaves are to European ones. The curry leaves as well as the oil that is obtained from them not just act as a flavoring agent but also for the medicinal properties of the oil. Curry leaves are used as a flavoring agent mainly in Southern India. These aromatic leaves can be put under the best use when they are fresh. They are generally used to flavor a dish right at the end of the preparation or garnishing the meal. These leaves are crushed by the hand to help release the flavor.
- Saffron: Saffron is one of the most delicate spices used in the whole world as well as it is a flowering plant. This spice is used as coloring and seasoning agent. This spice is expensive one and it is valued greatly for its coloring abilities. Saffron is always added at the end of the preparation of a dish. Right from treating depression, asthma, atherosclerosis and stressful menstrual cycles, saffron’s benefits extend to even treating cancer and helping to lower bad cholesterol levels.
- Tamarind: The health benefits of tamarind are very huge with ability to reduce inflammation throughout the body, improve your eye health, boost respiratory health, heal skin conditions, improve the digestive system, relieve pain, increase the strength of the immune system, reduce fever, lower your cholesterol to improve cardiovascular health, treat piles, prevent in case of cancer, and even protect children against parasites and worms.
- Cloves: Cloves are important spice in Indian kitchen where dried buds of the clove tree has medical properties due to its anti-bacterial attributes. These are considered as good solution for bad breathe problems. These also help to stimulate your metabolism as well as helps in digestion of food. It also acts as an anti-oxidant capable to fight with free radicals.