Some revelation, some perks- the Rail Budget for this season has some surprises for you!
The much awaited time of the year i.e. the introduction of Rail Budget 2016-17 has arrived! It was on Thursday when Suresh Prabhu, the Railway Minister of India, presented the whopping capital plan of Rs. 1, 21,000 crore rail budget for the session of 2016 and 2017. For Mr. Prabhu, this is the second rail budget presented during his working tenure.
Quick Highlights of the Budget:
1. The Railway ministry has announced three main trains for this session- Humsafar, UDAY and Tejas. With Humsafar, the ministry has plans for introducing a full air-conditioned 3rd AC service train that would also provide the flair option of having meals.
2. With Tejas, the ministry has plans of a high speed train running at a phenomenal speed of 130 kmph or above. Tejas will also offer on-board services for entertainment, cuisine and internet connectivity. Just in order to sustain customer’s satisfaction and accountability, the ministry has decided to use single-service provider for Tejas.
3. UDAY on the other hand will be an overnight air-conditioned double-decker express (named Utkrisht Yatri), travelling on certain busy routes. UDAY will potentially increase the carrying capacity.
4. The idea of SMART (Specially Modified Aesthetic Refreshing Travel) coaches has been initiated by the ministry. Such coaches will run through automated processing like doors, bar code readers, ergonomic seats, bio-vacuum toilets, water-level indicators, vending machines, LED, and PAS (public announcement system).
5. The railway ministry has also planned to launch Antyodaya Express for the unreserved passengers. It will be a long distance superfast train, running on some dense routes.
6. The happy news of unreserved passengers continues as the ministry plans to add 2-5 Deen Dayalu coaches to the long route trains. The practice will help the unreserved passengers with added carrying capacity, drinking water facility and mobile charging ports.
7. Supposedly, there is no hike in railway fares. Happy news for all!
8. The ministry has maintained the 33% Sub-Quota for women under several reserved categories.
9. There will be a phenomenal boost in the advertising revenue- about 4 times.
10. A passenger will now be able to cancel tickets by calling 139 toll free helpline by using the OTP format.
11. About 100 Wi-Fi this year and 400 in the coming session will be installed at different railway stations.
12. Redevelopment of all the railway station for meeting the accessible needs of differently abled passengers.
13. Improvisation of the e-catering services in more than 408 class stations.
14. Management of electronic billboards for the purpose of proactive information sharing. The ministry has decided to implement the idea of real-time information sharing.